Monday, February 28, 2011

I called it! The King's Speech takes top honour at Oscars 2011

I had heard some buzz about a film concerning King George VI of England called "The King's Speech." It didn't seem to have tremendous advertising support behind it but word was it was a fantastic film starring some of my favourite British actors: Colin Firth, Helena Bonham Carter and Jennifer Ehle.

I loved everything about the film, and was blown away by Firth's portrayal of Prince Albert. In fact, every one of the historic portrayals - from that of his father, King George V, to Bonham Carter's Queen Elizabeth (later, the Queen Mother), to his brother Edward VIII - bore out what we now know to have been the family dynamics and individual personalities involved. And I like Edward even less now that before, if that is possible.

If Oscars are truly awarded based on artistic skill, I believed Firth would win best actor and the film will be chosen as best film. I thought Helena Bonham Carter deserved recognition for her portrayal of the reigning monarch's mom, too, but somehow I didn't think that would happen given the rest of the field for best actress.

The sets and art direction were amazing and true to the period in the smallest detail. It was a joy to watch the story unfold, and the experience was made even more poignant when I learned that the writer had withheld completing the story until after the Queen Mother's death at her request.

King George VI (left) and Colin Firth portraying the king



And at the end, I cried. I was so proud of "him"! Of Colin Firth for his amazing performance, and of Bertie for his strength of character. Contrasting the behaviour of elder brother Edward with that of younger brother Albert, the world should be grateful George VI was at the helm during the Second World War. Born to rule or not, he was clearly the right man for the job. 

Colin Firth will now be, forever in my mind, Mr. Darcy and King George VI.

No comments:

Post a Comment